Twitter is one of the most popular microblogging and social networking platforms globally. It not only allows people to express their opinions online but also creates a space for people to reach out to others or for organizations to reach out to their customers. Twitter has a huge user base and each user has a feed where they can see what their followers or accounts they follow have posted. The feed also includes suggested tweets, so if you want to clear your Twitter feed and stop seeing tweets you don’t like, here’s what you can do.
There are a few ways by which you can clean and optimize your Twitter Fodder. You can mute an account, tweet, word or hashtag. Mute will remove Tweets from your Notifications tab, Push Notifications, SMS, Email Notifications, Home Timeline, and Reply to Tweets. You can customize your themes or topics that interest you. You can also block an account which will restrict that specific account from contacting you. You will not be able to see their tweets and you will not be able to follow them.
How to Mute a Tweet or Account on Twitter
It’s pretty much the same thing as muting a tweet or account on the app or desktop. Navigate to a Tweet and tap three-dot menu Mark.
You should see both muting options here – mute conversation or mute account.
Tap any option to mute the Tweet or account.
By muting an account you will not unfollow said account. They can still send you direct messages, but you won’t receive push or SMS notifications from those silent accounts.
how to mute a word/hashtag on twitter
- Tap on your profile icon on the Twitter app. On the desktop, select more From the options on the left side of your Twitter homescreen.
- Choose Settings and Privacy,
- Choose Privacy and Security.
- On the desktop, select mute and block, On the app you should see Muted Accounts and Muted Words option here.
- Choose silent words,
- select ‘,‘ icon to add the word (one word, phrase, @username, or hashtag at a time) that you want to mute.
- Once done, select save at the bottom (Desktop) or on the top right (App).
You can then choose from where you want to mute these words or phrases by checking the Home Timeline and Notifications options. By default, these will be permanently muted. This will keep you away from any Tweets that will not show tweets containing the word/phrase and also you will not receive notifications for these Tweets.
How to Customize the Content That Appears on Twitter
- This can only be done through the browser. Choose more You from the left panel on the Twitter homescreen.
- Choose Settings and Privacy,
- Choose Privacy & Security,
- Choose content you are looking for,
- Here you will see topics and interests. Choose Subject,
- You can choose any topic that interests you and Twitter will show content related to these topics on your feed.
- From the previous screen, select interests,
- You’ll see a list of interests Twitter has selected for you based on your profile, activity, and topics you follow.
- Deselect any interests you don’t want to see on your feed.
How to Block a Tweet or Account on Twitter
- Blocking a tweet or account on the app or desktop is pretty much the same. Navigate to a Tweet and tap three-dot menu Mark.
- you should watch block @accountname option here.
- Select it and the account will be blocked.
The blocked account will not receive a notification of being blocked. You will be unfollowed from that account and vice versa. You will not receive notifications from accounts you have blocked.